February 24, 2012
Sugar-free banana, date and walnut muffins
Moist and fragrant, these muffins are sooo good and you would never know they are gluten, dairy and sugar-free! I took these over to a family gathering and they were all eaten, with no detection of their sugar absence. Always a good test. These muffins are great for a snack or for breakfast on-the-go.
Sugar-free Banana Date and Walnut Muffins
* 1 cup of gluten-free all-purpose flour
* 3 teaspoons of baking powder
* sugar substitute that should equal 1/4 cup of sugar (all are different so read your packet)
* 1/2 cup of rice milk
* 2 organic eggs
* 3 tablespoons of low-fat margarine
* 1 over-ripe banana (I keep mine in the freezer for when I need them)
* 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon of coconut essence
* 2 handfuls of walnuts, roughly chopped
* 4 dates, chopped in small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and spray a 12-hole muffin tin with baking spray.
2. Sift flour and baking paper into a large bowl.
3. In a seperate bowl, melt the margarine and add the banana, vanilla, coconut essence, eggs and milk. Beat or whisk these ingredients together until creamy.
4. Fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture and add the walnuts and dates. Mix until just combined.
5. Fill each muffin hole evenly and bake for 25 minutes until golden and springy to touch.
6. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
7. Serve warm with a little low-fat margarine.
*Also suitable to freeze for up to 3 months wrapped in two layers of clingfilm.