February 07, 2012
Low-fat creamed rice
Rice is an easily digested grain, which makes it easy for your body to convert the energy from this type of carbohydrate to fuel your body. Free of any gluten, rice is not only an ideal food for those intolerant of gluten, it gives all digestive systems a break from processing indigestible grains.
Creamed rice is perfect for breakfast and while it does also make a great dessert, I think it's best eaten earlier in the day when you need the energy.
This recipe is very summery and uses the beautiful fruits on offer in the warmer months. Other great combinations are apple and cinnamon, banana and nutmeg, and vanilla with rhubarb or strawberries.
Lemongrass Creamed Rice
* 100g short/medium-grain rice
* 1 stalk lemon grass, bruised
* 3 tablespoons of Natvia sweetener
* 700 ml of low-fat soy milk
* 1 teaspoon of coconut essence
* 2 nectarines, sliced
1. Rinse the rice under cold running water.
2. Place rice in a saucepan with the lemon grass, sweetener, soy milk and coconut essence. Bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce heat to very low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking.
3. Remove and discard the lemon grass and set aside to cool.
4. Serve the rice with nectarine slices.
160 calories per serve.