February 10, 2012
Low-fat creamy pasta for a romantic Valentine's dinner
Creamy pastas are often the way to a man's heart and this dish definitely fits the bill for a romantic dinner for two. This recipe has had a comfort food makeover to become diet friendly, without sacrificing any of the flavour.
Low-fat Creamy Bacon and Mushroom Pasta
Ingredients: (serves 2, of course)
* 200g fettuccine pasta
* 1 1/2 teaspoons cornflour
* 1/2 cup Carnation Light & Creamy Evaporated Milk
* 1/4 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
* 75g of 97% fat-free bacon or lean ham works well too, chopped
* 1 garlic clove, crushed
* 1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
* olive oil cooking spray
* 80g button mushrooms, sliced
* 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet directions, until just tender.
2. Blend cornflour and 1 tablespoon of milk to a smooth paste. Add remaining milk, stock, and salt and pepper.
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon, garlic and onion. Spray with oil. Cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until golden. Add mushrooms. Cover. Cook, stirring every minute, for 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
4. Drain pasta. Set aside. Return saucepan to stovetop over medium heat. Add milk mixture. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sauce just comes to the boil. Add pasta, bacon mixture and parsley. Reduce heat to low. Toss until heated through.
5. Season with pepper. Serve with a little more parsley sprinkled on top.