February 07, 2012
Low-fat lemon and elderflower cupcakes
This recipe is from a gorgeous cookbook called 'Eat Me' written by Xanthe Milton. They are naturally lower in fat than most other cupcakes, and made with healthy ingredients. Elderflower has a beautiful lemony fragrance and it is a must ingredient for cupcake bakers.
Lemon and Elderflower Cupcakes
* 200g of plain flour
* 2 tsp of baking powder
* 225g granulated sugar
* 45g ground almonds
* finely grated zest of one lemon
* 2 large eggs
* 90ml of sunflower oil
* 250 ml low-fat Greek yogurt
*225g icing sugar
* 1 tsp elderflower cordial
* 4 tsp water
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a 12 hole muffin tin with patty cases.
2. Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl and stir in sugar, ground almonds and lemon zest. Mix everything together.
3. In a separate bowl, beat eggs with oil and yogurt.
4. Gradually stir in wet ingredients into dry and mix until combined.
5. Spoon mixture into patty cases until 3/4 full. Cook for 20 minutes and place cakes on wire rack to cool.
6. Sift icing sugar into a medium-sized bowl and add cordial. Gradually add water stirring until a creamy consistency is achieved.
7. Ice cakes when they are cool and decorate as you please.