Happy Mother's Day to all the beautiful mothers today. To celebrate the occasion, I have posted a recipe for gorgeous rose-scented shortbread cookies, inspired by a gift I bought my mum (you can see the pink tin in the background). This recipe makes gluten-free cookies that are healthier than the traditional shortbread recipes.
Vegan and Gluten-Free Rose Shortbread Cookies
This is a healthier version of the traditional shortbread, accented with romantic tones of rose made from real rose petals. Beautiful!Directions:
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp crushed rose petals – make sure to use edible petals to avoid pesticides. You can find them at specialised delis or health-food stores.
- 1/4 cup of organic butter
- 1 organic egg
- 4 tbsps of Natvia sweetener
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Place slivered almonds on a parchment paper or silicon mat lined cookie sheet.
- Place on middle rack of oven for 9 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. Once golden, remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine almond flour, baking soda and crushed rose petals. Once almond slivers have cooled, add those, and set these ingredients aside.
- Combine butter, sweetener, egg and vanilla extract. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until combined.
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper on the counter and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cover with parchment paper and place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking mat.
- Use cookie cutters to create cookies (heart shapes work well!), placing them 1/2 inch away from each other.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, checking after the 7 mark. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 20 cookies