Protein is an important component of your breakfast because it helps to kick start your metabolism better than carbohydrates, sugars or fat does (and let's face it, traditional pancakes tick all those naughty boxes!). It will also help you stay full for longer. I am not a huge fan of protein shakes, in fact I find them pretty icky, so these pancakes are also a great alternative to those muscle-making drinks. Plus you get to eat 'chocolate' in the morning, yes please!
|Lauren's Protein Pancakes from Laurensouch.ca|
Chocolate Protein Pancakes (recipe has been slightly adapted from the original)
- Sugar-free Chocolate Protein Powder
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds, ground flaxseed or L.S.A.
- Sugar-free maple syrup, fresh orange or strawberries to serve
- (Lauren tops hers with choc chips but I skip this part!)
- Whisk together protein powder, egg whites, banana and seeds together.
- Heat pan to medium heat and spray with rice bran oil or light olive oil.
- Pour 1/4 of the mixture into the pan and cook for a couple of minutes then flip. Cook for a minute on this side, or until all seems cooked through and browned.
- Respray the pan and continue with the remaining mixture to cook four pancakes.
- Serve with a drizzle of sugar-free maple syrup or a squeezed orange and top with strawberries.