March 12, 2012

Marshmallow gratin

Gratins are good in general. What is a gratin you question? Well in my world, a potato gratin is better known as a cheesy and creamy potato bake. Ah you say, very good. Then you will agree why the concept of a sweet gratin is a pretty genius one. In fact this gratin is made with marshmallows. I adapted this recipe from 'BBQ food for friends' written by Jane Lawson and Vanessa Broadfoot, which actually won an award for it's fabulous recipe collection. A good buy for those who love to BBQ their way through summer. My eyes lit up when I found this recipe - 'a marshmallow gratin!' I exclaimed. So then I went out and bought a bulk-sized amount of marshmallows in preparation for this momentous location. It wasn't until months later I ended up trialling the recipe but it worked out perfectly. It's a great dessert to serve at a BBQ with vanilla ice-cream and people will think you are very inventive. Yes, this dish is low in fat and loaded with antioxidant berries, but I can't delude myself, it's made with marshmallows! Alas, good for a treat.

Marshmallow Gratin


Serves 6

Ingredients:
  • 600 grams of mixed seasonal berries eg. blueberries, strawberries or raspberries
  • 2 tablespoons of raspberry liqueur 
  • 150 grams of pink and white marshmallows
  • Vanilla ice-cream
Method:
  1. Put the berries and raspberry liqueur in a bowl and gently mix together. Transfer them to a large ceramic over-proof dish and evenly top with the marshmallows.
  2. Put the dish in the middle of the BBQ (or you could put the dish in a hot oven) and cook for 8 - 10 minutes. The berries should start bubbling and the marshmallows should look browned and toasty. 
  3. Serve the gratin immediately with ice cream. (Take care the berries with be very hot.)
Note: Strawberries release liquid when they are heated and should be used in smaller proportion to the other berries.


My way to store my impulsive marshmallow buy



No comments:

Post a Comment