January 14, 2012

How to make delicious juices at home for under 100 calories


It is that kind of morning; you wake up with that queasy feeling, your head is throbbing and your mouth is as dry as sawdust. Of course, this may or may not be due to the fact you had a few too many wines, helpings of the cheese platter and chemistry-defying Lindt balls the night before. But that beside the point, I find there is a way to quell these ill feelings. It's time for some rehydration and a much needed vitamin dose.

Juicing is one of my favourite ways to start the morning, hang over or not. I like to use mainly vegetables because they have a lower calorie content and add a small amount of fruit in for added flavour. Ginger, lime or lemon are also staples for my favourite juices and can spice up any flavour combination.

Here is a picture of what I came up with this morning and it was delicious. So delicious in fact, my partner happily joined me in a glass, despite the fact he has numerously declared he hates 'vegie' juice.

The bright orange colour has led me to entitle this combination my Sunrise Special. Don't laugh, it is fitting!

Sunrise Special Juice

(serves 2)

* 2 carrots
* 3 sticks of celery
* 1/2 lime (keep other half for wedges in the juice)
* 1/2 punnet of strawberries
* 1 green apple

Cut the fruit up to the requirements of your juicer - mine is a super juicer that can handle whole apples and fascinates my partner being that of an engineer.

Serve on ice and enjoy!

Tori Spelling posted this juice idea on her website ediTORIal.

Stress Reliever
To Juice or Not to Juice

2 big handfuls of spinach
3-4 stalks broccoli
3-4 stalks celery
1 larger or 2 small carrots

No comments:

Post a Comment