January 26, 2012

Skinny lamington cupcake for Australia Day

Lamington cupcakes

BBQ'ed lamb





Chargrilled marinated tofu

Each year Aussies get together to celebrate all things Australian - lamingtons, BBQs, beer and sun. This year, all that was missing was the sun as Brisbane has been plunged into damp and dark weather for a week now. Not letting that dampen our spirits, we set about to create our Australia Day feast.

I made skinny gluten-free lamington cupcakes, which were absolutely delectable and all were impressed with the cupcake's spongey light texture. Since I was staying at my mum's house for the holiday, I didn't have all my baking supplies so I bought a cake mix. Although I don't usually stoop to this level, I chose an organic gluten-free vegan mix by Orgran and was curious to see how it would turn out. Making the cake mix with organic butter, free-range eggs and rice milk, adding a little extra vanilla essence to pump up the flavour. The cakes rose beautifully and turned golden, but stayed wonderfully moist and sponge-like in the centre. I was very impressed. I covered the cakes in my lamington icing, which I made with 2 tablespoons of cocoa, 1/2 cup of icing sugar, 1 tablespoon of butter and hot water to adjust the consistency. I then sprinkled the finished cakes with dessicated coconut. Delicious!

The boys also took full advantage of the chance to BBQ, grilling lamb cutlets and agreeing to add on some marinated tofu, gasp! Despite being true meat lovers, they tried and tested the tofu and went back for seconds, concurring it was actually really tasty. Marinating the tofu in soy, ginger and honey gave it a wonderfully burnished finish after grilling and a crunchy golden layer protecting the soft tofu inside. You must add some to your next BBQ - tofu was born for the grill.

Hope you celebrated the day in style x

No comments:

Post a Comment