I think the pictures speak for themselves when it comes to the deliciousness of this banana bread. The caramel topping of fig, banana and coconut sugar with crunchy walnuts makes this recipe one of the most amazing pieces of your skinny sweets repertoire. By now I think most of us know traditional banana breads are packed with sugar and wheat, providing little nutrition and skyrocketing your blood sugar. My healthy banana bread is made with spelt flour, which is lower in gluten than regular flours, and made with maple syrup for sweetness. This is comfort food at its best, making you feel instantly happy and nourished.
Healthy Banana Bread
- 2 large bananas, mashed + 1 banana sliced for topping
- 2 large eggs, whisked lightly
- 1/4 cup macadamia nut oil
- 1/4 of almond milk
- 1 teaspsoon of pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons of Natvia sweetener
- 1 1/2 cup of spelt flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- For topping: 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar, 1 tablespoon of almond meal, 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, 2 sliced dried figs and chopped banana
- Oil a brownie tin or loaf tin with coconut oil. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Mix together the mashed banana, oil, eggs, milk, vanilla, maple syrup, Natvia and ground spices until combined. Sift in the spelt flour and baking powder. Gently mix the the dry ingredients into the wet and add in the almond flour.
- Pour the mixture into the tin. Combine the coconut sugar and almond meal in a small bowl. Top the bread with banana, figs, walnuts and sprinkle over coconut sugar and almond meal mix.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes until toasty and cooked through.
- Take out of the oven to cool, before slicing to serve.
- Keep in an airtight container for a few days or individually wrap and store in the freezer for up to two months.