These versatile meatballs are a favourite in the Alba household. You can use lean turkey mince, organic free-range chicken mince or extra-lean beef mince in the recipe and make your own breadcrumbs if you prefer (or use gluten-free breadcrumbs if required). Serve these meatballs on their own with fresh salad or incorporate in a tomato sauce to serve with quinoa or brown rice.
Jessica Alba's Healthy Meatballs
- 600 grams of lean ground turkey/chicken/beef
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) or gluten-free breadcrumbs - you can easily make your own breadcrumbs by processing/blending bread into crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped zucchini
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken broth
- In a large bowl, mix together the meat, breadcrumbs, vegetables, eggs, and seasonings until combined. You may want to use your hands to help all the ingredients bind together.
- Roll the mixture into small meatballs (slightly larger than a golf ball size) and place on a dish until finished.
- Heat a large pan and add the oil. Pan fry the meatballs until golden brown on all sides. Cook for 7 or so minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth; cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is almost completely absorbed, about another 7 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup broth and increase heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until liquid is absorbed.
- You can either serve the meatballs now or add in a jar of tomato pasta sauce to serve with rice.
|Jessica Alba and her two daughters|