Lovers of peanut butter will delight in the crunchy peanut butter centre of these coconutty chocolates. To make these delicious and creamy chocolate treats, you only need a a few ingredients and a silicone ice cube tray or chocolate mould (these are flexible and make it easier to pop out the set chocolates).
If you prefer, you can substitute the peanut butter with a preferred nut butter with the same result. Yummy additions to these chocolates could include goji berries, shredded coconut, chia seeds, cinnamon or orange zest.
Healthy Peanut Crunch Chocolates
Makes 1 tray of chocolates (6 - 8 serves)
- 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- 2 scoops of chocolate or vanilla flavored protein powder (any type with no added sugar - however to be vegan this must be rice or pea protein)
- 1 scoop (use protein scooper) of coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon of organic crunchy peanut butter with no added sugar or salt + 1 tablespoon for filling
- 2 tablespoons of 100% cacao powder
- 1 teaspoons of maca powder* optional
- 1 - 2 tablespoons of powdered stevia, depending on sweetness preferences
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until combined and smooth. The mix should be thick and creamy, but at a pourable consistency, much like pancake batter. If the mixture seems to thick, add a teaspoon of coconut oil at a time until the desired consistency is reached. If it is too runny, add a little more protein powder or coconut flour.
- Spray your silicone tray with coconut oil or macadamia nut oil. Using a tablespoon, fill each mould half way.
- Using a teaspoon, put a small amount of peanut butter into each mould. Using the remaining chocolate mix, top each mould until full, covering the peanut butter centre.
- Freeze for a few hours, until set. Pop out on the moulds and transfer into a container to keep in the freezer. These chocolates will melt quickly at room temperature. Take them out shortly before eating!
* Maca powder is made from a root that grows in the Andes mountains of Peru. It is associated with improved vitality, energy, libido and anti-ageing benefits.