The perfect treat at an afternoon tea, butterfly cakes are dainty and sweet, and are always a crowd pleaser. These sponge cakes are made without gluten or sugar yet stay fluffy and moist. To keep the cakes completely allergy free, the berry centre is made with blueberry flavored CoYo, spiked with some Chambord liquor.
Skinny Butterfly Cakes
120 calories per cupcake
- 100gm (2/3 cup) gluten-free plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of Natvia sweetener (stevia sweetener powder)
- 50 gm butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large tub of blueberry CoYo (coconut milk yoghurt)
- 2 tablespoons of Chambord or raspberry liquor
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan forced. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake liners. Sieve the flour and baking powder twice into a bowl and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs and sweetener until pale and creamy, and doubled in size (about 5 - 8 minutes).
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the eggs and sweetener until combined. Add in the melted butter and fold again until incorporated.
- Divide the mixture amongst the 12 cupcake liner; the mixture should come to just over 3/4 full. Don't fill the cupcake to the brim on the liners as they will rise.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until risen and golden.
- Take out of oven and let cool in tin for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Once cooled, use a small sharp knife the cut out a dome shape in the centre of the cakes. Cut this small piece of cake into two to use later.
- Transfer the CoYo into a bowl and mix together with liquor.
- Fill each cake cut-out with the CoYo and top with remaining cake pieces to form the butterfly.
- Dust with natural icing sugar before serving.