This is a very simple recipe and makes the most delicious buttery cake with simple but beautifully matched flavours. I replaced sugar in the recipe with Natvia stevia sweetener. Cinnamon on the palate is also associated with sweetness and can mimic the taste of sugar in your mouth.
Skinny Sugar-free Cinnamon Tea Cake
- 60 grams of butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of stevia sweetener (I use Natvia)
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 cup of self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup of skim milk or almond milk
- 10 grams of butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of caster sugar + 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease a deep 20cm round cake pan, line the base with baking paper.
- Beat butter, extract, sweetener and egg with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and pour in the milk. Stir gently to combine.
- Pour mixture into the pan and bake for 35 - 30 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Turn out onto a wire rack. Spoon the melted butter over the cake and using a sieve, cover with the icing sugar and cinnamon.
- Serve warm.
|Freshly baked cake out of the oven|