Watching your carb intake at night doesn't mean you have to live off salads after 5pm, which gets especially tricky when the winter weather sets in. Satisfying your tastebuds, try a faux risotto replacing the rice component by using the very understated vegetable, cauliflower. I think it tastes better than the real thing because the cauliflower has such a lovely sweet natural flavour and the dish won't leave you with that heavy post-carb feeling.
- 1 head cauliflower, "riced" in a food processor or grated
- 1/2--1 cup chicken broth
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
1. In a medium pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent.
2. Add cauliflower rice to the pot and toast it for about a minute with the onion and garlic.
3. Add about 1/3 cup of chicken stock, stirring well. Allow to evaporate and soak in as much as possible. (This won't absorb entirely, but it's important for getting the texture right.)
4. Continue to add as much liquid as possible until the cauliflower won't absorb any more liquid.
5. When it seems done (about 15-20 minutes), use a ladle to remove the excess liquid.
6. Add peas and mushrooms.7. Add cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.