Skinny cheesecake is packed with healthy proteins and low in fat, making it a perfect healthy sweet treat. The texture is creamy despite the reduction in fat and the citrus burst makes the cake taste refreshing. You will need to make this in advance if its intended for a special occasion as it will need time to bake and set (make it early that morning if needed for that evening or leave overnight to chill for the next day).
Skinny Orange Cheesecake
- 110 grams of digestive biscuits
- 50 grams of low-fat margarine spread, melted
- 285 grams of cottage cheese
- 200 grams fat-free or diet fromage frais (Fruche yoghurt is fromage frais)
- 130 grams of caster sugar
- finely grated zest of 2 large oranges
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons of cornflour, dissolved in 2 teaspoons of water
- 4 eggs
- Grease a 20-cm round springform cake tin. Using a food processor, finely crumb the digestive biscuits. If you don't have a food processor, you can put the crumbs in a zip lock bag and crush with a rolling pin (this is my trick!). Stir the crumbs into the melted low-fat spread. Press the crumbs into the base of the prepared tin. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes. Wrap the tin in two layers of foil.
- Press the cottage cheese through a sieve to purée the texture. Using an electric mixer, beat the cottage cheese and fromage frais together, adding the sugar, orange zest, lemon juice and cornflour mixture. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Pour the mixture over the crumb base. Place the cake tin in a large roasting tin, surround by boiling water that reaches half-way up the cake tin. Bake in a moderate oven for about 50 minutes, until set but with a slight wobble in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before turning out.