A quick and easy recipe for a very moist banana cake, topped with creamy rich icing.
Skinny Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
- 75 grams of softened organic butter
- 1/2 cup of caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons of Natvia
- 2 large organic eggs
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons of natural low-fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 1/2 cups of self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 handful of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 packet of low-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup of soft icing sugar
- whole walnuts to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees and lightly grease a medium sized loaf tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Place the eggs in a cup of boiling water for 30 seconds until they reach room temperature (this stops the mixture from curdling).
- Mix in the warmed eggs, mashed banana, vanilla and yoghurt.
- Sift in the flour and bicarb of soda and mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 30 - 40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. To test, insert a knife in the centre of the cake, and if cooked the knife will come out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once completely cooled, you can ice the cake.
- To make the icing, simply cream together the cream cheese and icing sugar until incorporated.
- Cover the cake with the icing, letting some of the icing lusciously spill over the sides. I put foil underneath my wire rack to catch crumbs and icing droplets.
- Decorate with walnuts.