August 15, 2011
Nigella Lawson's waist-reducing banana cake
As Nigella puts it, "due to a widening waistline and an inability to stop eating cake I challenged myself to find a cake that didn't taste low fat."
Here is what she came up with...
Low-fat Banana Cake
* 1 cup wholemeal flour
* 1 cup plain flour
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 3/4 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 3/4 cup brown sugar
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 1/2 cup skimmed milk
* 1/4 cup canola oil
* 3 medium-sized ripe bananas, mashed
* 1/2 cup sultanas
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 180/Gas mark4. Line a 20cm spring-form cake tin.
2. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
3. Place brown sugar, egg in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add oil, milk, mashed banana,vanilla extract and sultanas and mix until well blended.
4. Gradually mix in flour mixture until just moist.
5. Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.