I love making bacon and eggs as a treat on the weekends, but if you are catering for more than two, the thought of multitasking poaching eggs and grilling bacon for a crowd can make you want to crawl back into bed. If you would rather spend your morning enjoying the sunlight and chatting with your companions, this recipe is perfect for you. Within a few minutes, your breakfast will be all prepared, and you can sit and relax while the cooking part takes care of itself. Serve your cute egg cups with whatever accompaniments you like; I picked some beautifully ripe baby tomatoes, and gluten-free English muffins that were topped with mashed avocado, Himalayan sea salt and continental parsley.
Egg and Bacon Cups
- 6 organic free-range eggs
- 6 slices of lean organic bacon (I prefer a thinner bacon slice for this recipe)
- crumbled light fetta cheese
- coconut oil spray
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Spray six-holes of a muffin tin with coconut oil spray. I used a silicone muffin tin as I found this is easier to pop out the cups when they are cooked.
- Line six of the muffin holes with a bacon slice; don't worry if this doesn't coat all of the muffin tin, a rough job is fine.
- Pop the bacon in the oven for 5 minutes, until it crisps up a little.
- When you take out the bacon, crack one egg into each of the six cups.
- Sprinkle each with fetta, pepper and salt and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- When these are baking, you can pop into the oven some bread of your choice sprayed with some coconut oil to save you from hovering over the toaster for the rest of the morning.
- After they are baked, take out the cups (and bread once golden), and using a large spoon, carefully turn out each one onto a serving plate. I ran a knife around each one to help them pop out more easily.
- Serve straight away with bread and accompaniments.