We all worry about our dad's heart health so what better way to treat him on Father's Day then with some low-fat ginger and pistachio cupcakes! My dad loves ginger and I think it must be a bit of a dad thing; my friends all agreed on the flavour choice noting their dad's were a fan of the spice too. I iced these gingerbread cakes with some sticky creamy icing, made with Pashmak pistachio fairy floss. To decorate, I adorned with some star-shaped freckles.
Father's Day Low-Cholestrol Pistachio and Ginger Cupcakes
- 1 packet of low-fat vanilla cake mix (I used an organic gluten-free mix)
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 tablespoons of ginger syrup or ginger cordial
- 1 packet of low-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 1 packet of pistachio fairy floss (if you can't find this from the deli/sweets store use an additional cup of icing sugar and pistachio flavouring with a drop of green food colouring).
- Mix cake ingredients in an electric mixer on high speed for 4 minutes.
- Fill 12 cupcake tin holes with the mixture.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until risen and golden.
- To make the icing, mix cream cheese, sugar and fairy floss/or flavouring on high speed until fluffy and combined.
- When the cakes are cooled, ice each cupcake and decorate as you wish. Some chopped pistachios would also work well!