The blondie recipe I devised is studded with rich dark chocolate, bright red goji berries and fragrant desiccated coconut. To add to the richness of the cake, I used a small amount of coconut flour, which is a really divine gluten-free flour option. Coconut flour is made from pounding dried coconut meat and is an excellent substitute from wheat flour because while it is gluten free, it is high in fibre and low in carbohydrate. It is ideal to use as a maximum of 25% of the recipe's flour content.
I made this recipe to be low-in-fat, dairy-free, gluten-free and sugar-free! Don't get nervous, I promise they taste really good! If you don't believe me, try them for yourself....
Sugar-free Skinny Blondies
- 8 tablespoons of organic vanilla coconut milk yoghurt or sheep's milk yoghurt
- 1/4 cup of Natvia
- 3 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- small pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 1 1/2 cups of gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of rice milk
- 1/4 cup of goji berries
- 150 grams of sugar-free dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup of desiccated coconut
- Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites until fluffy. Add the Natvia until mixed through and add the vanilla extract until combined. Fold in the yoghurt, not taking the air out from the egg whites.
- Sift in the flours, cinnamon and baking powder, and pour in the rice milk. Patiently fold into the egg mixture. Add the goji berries, chocolate and coconut and mix to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased brownie tin or foil tray and bake for 30 minutes in a moderate oven.
- The cake will be cooked when browned on top. It remains nice and moist in the centre.
- Cut into 18 slices to serve.