ricotta pikelets with figs and honey
This recipe is super simple, fresh and healthy. Ricotta is a yummy low-fat soft cheese that is mild in flavour and creates light and fluffy pikelets. To me, combining cinnamon and honey at breakfast time is one of life's little pleasures and this always makes my morning a little more special. Treat your guests to a home-cooked pikelet feast or make this treat just for yourself.
- 3/4 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra, to serve
- 2 eggs
- 100g extra light ricotta, plus extra to serve
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or almond milk
- 2 tbls honey
- spray oil, for cooking
- 6 figs, quartered, to serve
- honey, for drizzling, to serve
- Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon together into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and ricotta together until smooth. Whisk in milk and honey, then combine with dry ingredients.
- Heat a heavy based non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Lightly grease the pan using the spray oil. Add ¼ cup of batter and cook until golden brown on the underside, 1-2 minutes. Turn over and cook until just cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Stack up piklets on serving plates. Top with a spoonful of ricotta, a sprinkle of cinnamon, a generous pile of figs and finish with a drizzle of honey.