This recipe is inspired by secretly healthy red velvet cupcakes recipe on 'Chocolate Covered Katie', which is this amazing blog dedicated to healthy desserts. Red velvet cupcakes are a family favourite and I wanted to make some that were as delicious as the original cakes without the gluten or sugar.
Skinny Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup spelt flour or gluten-free flour plus 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tbsp of cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup of stevia
- 1/4 cup of cashew cream (see recipe below)
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup beetroot juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup of raw cashews (soaked in water for at least 2 hours)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of water
- To make the cashew cream, drain the cashews and blend with lemon juice and water until smooth and creamy.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tin with patty cake wrappers.
- In a large bowl, sift and combine flour, cacao powder, baking soda and stevia.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Pour wet into dry and stir until just combined.
- Put batter into each cupcake wrapper (about 2/3 full) and bake for 15 minutes, until risen. Let sit for 10 minutes to cool before removing from the mufin tin.
Left over cashew cream can be used as a delicious dressing for salads.
To ice the cupcakes, use vegan cream cheese or low-fat cream cheese whisked with some stevia to make a tangy icing.