This delicious recipe was inspired by a healthy baking recipe from the lovely Theresa Cutter, a qualified nutritionist and fitness trainer who writes for Australian Women's Fitness Magazine. She has a fabulous website, 'The Healthy Chef' which has delicious recipes and advice for healthy living.
These gorgeous little cakes are perfect to take to a morning tea or serve as dessert, warmed and with a little natural Greek yoghurt. I used honey in the recipe for sweetness but you can substitute with stevia or xylitol if you want to reduce the sugar content. To increase the protein, I also added some Sunwarrior powder. If you want to skip the protein powder, omit this ingredient and the almond milk.
Gluten-free Lemon and Blueberry Cakes
- 1 1/2 cups of ground almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla protein powder (I used a rice protein powder 'Sunwarrior')
- 2 organic free-range eggs
- the juice and zest of one unwaxed organic lemon
- 2 tablespoons of almond milk
- 2 tablespoons of natural honey
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of fresh ricotta cheese (I like to buy mine from an authentic Italian deli or the farmer's markets)
- 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- extra honey for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees fan forced.
- Combine the ground almonds, baking soda, protein powder and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan, warm the coconut oil, honey and vanilla paste until melted. Set aside and leave to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and add the almond milk and lemon juice. Pour in the cooled coconut oil, honey and vanilla mix. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry almond mix, and stir until combined.
- Fold in the ricotta and then gently fold through the blueberries briefly.
- Oil a silicone muffin tin or line a regular muffin tin with patty pans. Place roughly two tablespoons of the mixture into each muffin hole.
- Top each cake with a sprinkle of chia seeds and a drizzle of honey.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until baked through and slightly golden.
- Leave to cool slightly in the pan before gently transferring to a wire rack to cool.