Sneaky sources of sugar:
- Asian sauces such as Hoisin Sauce are made mostly of brown sugar.
- BBQ sauce is 55% sugar, which is more than chocolate topping.
- Tomato sauce * I have included a recipe below for your own sugar-free tomato sauce :)
- Low-fat foods eg. low-fat mayonnaise. Low-fat foods often have the fat replaced with sugar.
- Breakfast cereals - 99% very high in sugar. Best to use oats.
- Muesli bars - including anything that has dried fruit, honey or yoghurt.
- Yoghurts - full-fat Greek yoghurt is best.
- Vegetable juices - carrot and beetroot are still quite high in sugar foods. Obviously fruit juices are a no go.
Read your food labels. Ignore the per serve label as it is often not accurate. For example, a can of soft drink will often say two-three serves. Look at per 100 grams, in solid foods should be under 3 grams (except dairy products, which should have under 8 grams because the lactose will increase the sugar content). You will find this eliminates a large section of your grocery store... but you can replace many of these ingredients with home made versions.
Is chocolate ever okay? Chocolate is not addictive, it is the sugar that is the addictive part. Even 80% cocoa chocolate still has a high sugar content. Sugar-free chocolate is manufactured with chemicals, which are also harmful for your body. Essentially, there is no chocolate that is low in sugar. Try making your own healthy treats with cacao powder.
Fruit is okay as long as it is limited to two small pieces a day. Berries are the best choice of fruit because they are the lowest in fruit. Apples, bananas and grapes are the highest in sugar.
These rules are very strict , and I couldn't follow them exactly on every day, but it is a good reminder to limit these foods, especially those you weren't aware contained such large amount of sugar.
Homemade Sugar-free Tomato Sauce
12 oz. tomato paste
4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon mustard
1/4 cup+2 Tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Combine all ingredients and whisk until combined. You may wish to blend in order to ensure the spices are evenly mixed throughout.
It is best to let the ketchup sit together in the fridge for a couple of hours, or overnight, before serving so that the flavors blend together well.
Store in an airtight container in fridge.
Check the ingredients of your tomato paste. The only item listed should be tomatoes.